Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Back to School

Classes here started yesterday. Mike got up early for his 9am class not yet ready for the summer to be over. He has a problem with the summer ending. It makes him depressed and moody because no matter how much he may do during the summer, he never feels like he's done everything he wanted to get done. His mother tells me that he's been like this since he was a kid and it's such a foreign concept to me.

I always loved school. I never wanted it to end no matter how hellish the year might have been. I hated the summer months because they were focused on things I had no interest in. I spent my summers reading books and studying new things. For me, the fact that I'm not attending classes this fall is a bit depressing.

It all just has me thinking about the differences between Mike and I. Our different views of summer and school are just the least of it. He's very active and I'm very sedentary. I love to read and could read all day--he likes to read, but has only recently (since we've been together) begun to want to read. He's the outdoors type and I prefer staying in. With so many differences, it's hard for us to figure out what we want to do sometimes. It makes for roundabout and sometimes pointless discussions about our day-to-day activities.

At least, though, with Mike back in classes, we'll have some structure to our lives that we've been lacking all summer long. He's in class three days a week so I will have time to work on finishing my novel (those character emotions are hard to write!) and keep the house up while running my store. Tuesday and Thursday afternoons will be dedicated to homework and working on his remaining English class which he's taking online. Structure is good for us, as long as we don't get too locked up in keeping to it every second.

This is his last semester. Barring problems, he'll be graduating with his BA in December. Then comes the real fun part--work and moving to Shreveport in January.

Talk to you soon,
Robyn

No comments:

Post a Comment